Why Buy From Deep Roots?
The Deep Roots online gardening store offers superior quality, great value, easy setup, attractive design, delivery and installation.
Buy local and fund our mission
Purchases made from the Deep Roots online store help to fund our mission to encourage and empower residents through free workshops and outreach activities to convert toxic lawns into bountiful, organic, edible and native gardens. We are part of a growing national movement to remove toxic chemicals from our homes, yards, water and food.
Why buy our cedar raised beds?
- Our cedar beds last 2 or 3 times longer than beds made from pine lumber. Life span of both cedar and pine beds will depends on your individual conditions.
- Our Premium raised beds are constructed from 1.5 inch thick Western cedar. Our Basic beds are constructed from 1 inch thick Eastern cedar.
- 16” deep beds retain more moisture and allow greater plant density per square foot of surface.
- Our Basic raised bed kit is designed for easy transport and assembly.
- Our beautiful unique designs are created by our master in-house engineer Will Schreiber.
- Local delivery is available to Oak Park/River Forest and the surrounding area.
- Ask us about our customized raised beds. We do modifications to existing products, as well as full custom raised beds designed to your specs.
Why buy our soil blend?
Our research has produced the best quality and value soil. Our soil and amendments are mixed in correct proportions and fully blended. Buy soil from us for an incredible edible garden. Use our soil with compost tea to get best results. See ingredients and more details.
Why buy our super dense leaf mulch?
- Our leaf mulch holds moisture in the soil longer than any other mulch we tried.
- Not letting the soil dry out between waterings keeps the plants healthy, resistant to disease and capable of producing large harvests.
- As the mulch decomposes it becomes compost which will fertilize your next season’s crop.
- The mulch is a beautiful dark brown color
- The mulch is made in huge piles of leaves with just the right amount of moisture, pressure and heat.
- We transport the mulch in bulk with our truck so we can pass the savings on to our community
Why buy our composted manure?
- It provides rich, nutrient content and also helps build carbon compounds (organic materials) that build soil structure. That translates into big, beautiful and bountiful vegetables.
- Using composted manure in the garden has numerous benefits. It is packed with nutrients that plants need, like nitrogen. Using manure as fertilizer keeps plants healthy and green.
- As the soil absorbs manure, nutrients are released. This enriches the soil, which in turn, helps the plants.
- The most important benefit of using composted manure in the garden is its ability to condition the soil. For instance, mixing manure with sandy soils helps to retain moisture levels. Adding composted manure to compacted soil helps loosen the soil.
- Composted manure produces increased soil carbon, which is an important source of energy that makes nutrients available to plants.
- Other benefits of composted manure include reduced runoff and leaching of nitrates in the soil. We transport composted manure in our Deep Roots truck direct from an organic dairy farmer in Central Illinois.
Why buy our compost tea?
Our Compost Tea is seasonally brewed with air-activated microbes for maximum nutrient delivery to plant roots in spring, summer, and fall.
Why make a donation?
Our products are priced to be as affordable as possible. Your added contribution will expand the reach of our mission.
Why keep in touch?
Receive our monthly newsletter and like our Facebook page (@thedeeprootsprojectoapark) for information on our latest events, sales and resources. Put our email address (email@example.com) in your email address book to increase the chances that our newsletter will go to your InBox and not to your promotion tab or your spam folder.
Order products and more info
Contact David Murphy, Managing Director 773-502-5600, dmurphy[at]deep-roots-project.org
Support our work!
All purchases and donations go to support our free workshops and other educational work. The Deep Roots staff are volunteers.